"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer"


Friday, May 2, 2014

Showa no Hi

Tuesday, April 29

So today was a national holiday. Miya was off school, so it was just Ken, Yuko, and me eating breakfast.
I got dressed and got to the station in time to catch the 7:57, but it wasn't there on the monitors. :( Then I realized that the trains follow a different schedule on holidays. Ohhh.
There had been like no one on their bikes this morning. Also, it had been pouring rain so my jeans were soaked now. But the trains were still pretty crowded. I ended up getting an 8:01 one, so I was still fairly early to school. It looked like the Japanese kids still had classes today.

Yasuko, Emma, and I had all planned to eat together today in the green area. But because it was raining and looked like it wasn't going to let up anytime soon, I decided we'd better eat inside. I remembered how full all the rooms in R had been at lunchtime last week, so I suggested we meet in K22, my classroom.
But it turned out Natalia had been put in a wheel chair because she was planning to go to Fukuoka for Golden Week, so they wanted her to rest up. So our class was moved to R building today so she didn't have to go out of the building. And we were in that room where you have to take your shoes off again. It was raining so I'd worn my sneakers which are super mendokusai (annoying) to take off.
So yeah. In communication, we had to go around and ask each other questions about our childhood and things our parents did for us using ~tekuremashita and ~temoraimashita. 
Then next period we had our last chapter kanji test, which today I got a 100 on. And we did evaluations of the reading and writing portion of our class.

Then it was lunchtime! Yasuko had said she needed to talk something over with friends, but would be free to meet us after that. So I suggested we meet at 1 and told her Emma and I needed to buy bentos anyway. So I showed Emma where the 100 Lawson's is and we went to go buy bentos there.
I also had my heart cake that I wanted to eat, so I just bought the sushi and inarzushi combo and a thing of 2 melon pan for 100 yen for later. Emma got inarizushi and this big ring of bread with chocolate inside that she let me try later and it was really good!

We ended up being late to meet Yasuko. We go there around 1:15 and I felt terrible! But we all ate together for the last 15 minutes of lunch and I iced, sprinkled, and shared the heart cake. Emma didn't want any, but I gave Yasuko a piece and she loved it! I ate a piece too.

Yummmmmaaaayyyy

Yasuko and me with my cake!!
Then Emma and I had to hurry off to class. I went to my locker first and got a container to put the last two pieces of cake in.

In Hanga, we worked on our final project. I cleaned up my Totoro carving and then printed it. Sensei gave me a giant paper to print it on and I ended up doing a pretty good job of it, I think!
Everyone left whenever they finished so Esteban, Rafa, and Emma all finished and left before me. I had told Esteban I had cake for him (as thanks for letting me use his textbook), so I let him choose and of course he took the bigger piece (darn)! 
It took me forever to finish, but Minju was still there printing with me. :) We all finally finished about ten minutes before class was supposed to end, so then we headed out. I meant to give Minju the last piece of cake but I completely forgot!
So I went over to a table to do my homework and finished my sushi and ate the last piece of cake. Gosh, it was good. I missed American cake so, so much!

I ended up finishing all my homework!! Sugoi! So then I headed home through the rain. The rain had let up a bit and was just sprinkling, so I didn't get completely soaked on my way home. At Yagoto Nisseki, while waiting for the subway, Rana came down to the platform and spotted me so we caught up while we waited for the train and then until we got to Aratama bashi. It was nice talking to her again. We haven't hung out in a while. She told me when I went to that weird guys' place that time, Yuko had called Rana's host mom to tell her the story (sigh, Yuko and her big mouth), and Rana's host mom had had a talk with her about what to do if she ever forgot her key, haha.
When I got home, Miya and Yuko were watching Jurrassic Park. Ken was in the kitchen making dinner.

We had noodles for dinner tonight. No one said anything to me again all throughout dinner. Then, at the end of dinner, Yuko asked me if I speak in Japanese at school a lot, and I said yes. Then she said something else and I heard her say "jibun" (yourself), so I think she was asking if I started conversations. I said I did. And then she asked how come I never start conversations at home. I never talk at home. 
Hmmm, I wonder why?
I just said I'm usually tired when I get home. Crap, I guess I should talk more tomorrow night.
I asked about Jurassic Park, though and told them I thought it was scary. But Miya said it wasn't scary, haha.
The wifi wasn't working on my computer, so I decided I just wanted to go to sleep. Yasuko texted me that my cake was delicious and thanked me! I apologized again for being late, but she said it was fine!

So while everyone watched Jurassic Park in English with Japanese subtitles, I went to my room and opened the window to listen to the rain. These two guys were outside talking and it was cool listening to them, because I could hear their whole conversation. I just wish I could have understood more of it. At one point it sounded like they were saying some girl was cute, haha.
Then I brushed my teeth and went to sleep early. Miyabi came in later to say good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment