"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer"


Sunday, May 25, 2014

A bittersweet goodbye :)

(Sorry this is over a week late. I've been traveling and touring Japan :D )

Saturday, May 17

Well this is it, guys. The end of my fabulous five month journey in this beautiful country. 
Just kidding, I'll be here another week. But today felt like the end because it was the last time I'd see just about all of the amazing people I've met since I came in January. Next week I'll be traveling around with my mom and sister. But today marks the end of my time as a student at 南山大学 and living as a native in Nagoya. Tomorrow I'll be a tourist in Japan for the first time.

This morning I woke up pretty early and rode the subway to Sakae to pick up my mom and sister. They took some of their things over to my dorm to put in my room and then I walked over to Nanzan because we all had to be there, in the green area, at 10 for class pictures.

While we all waited for our class's turn, we took pictures with our friends.

Deanna, Emma, me, and Minju

Me, Emma, and Rana

Me and Pearl

Me and Pearl that someone else took

Me in front of Nanzan

Me and Rafa

Esteban, me, and Rafa

All us Texans: Esteban, Brendan, me, Rafa, Scout

Holding our big Texas belts

Me, Heather, and Emma

Me and Heather!

Me and Emma!!

And then we were free to go, finally. Mom and Bridget came to the green area so we could eat together and Emma and Minju joined too. We all went to the cafeteria and I got my last misokatsu ever. *cries* And I made Bridget get it too. She liked it!
Then we carried our food out to the green area to eat there, because it was a beautiful day!

When we were finished, Mom, Bridget and I walked to my dorm so I could finish writing thank you cards for all my teachers to go along with their presents. It took so long that I barely made it back in time for my graduation! Omg!

They called us each up by class and 300 was last. I was happy that Mutsukawa sensei called out "Keito Biseru" like I'd wanted. And then I went up and bowed to Father Michael (the president of Nanzan) and received my diploma.

Mah diploma!

After the ceremony, I hung around the room handing out my presents. All the office ladies were beside themselves with joy when I gave them their gifts and then they wanted a picture with me, haha!

Me with the office ladies

And then I took more pictures with my friends! :)

Me and Emma!

Emma, me, and Shunsuke

Me and Shunsuke

Emma and me

And Jose inserted himself into my picture with Kazuki

I introduced my mom and sister to Shunsuke and Kazuki and I made Kazuki practice English with them. Whenever I hang out with him, we always speak Japanese because he always acted like he didn't understand me whenever I spoke English. 
But holy crap, he was good at English. He understood everything my mom and sister asked him, was able to answer, and even asked them questions! I'd never heard him speak in English and he sounded so adorable with his thick accent and everything, omg.

When we got over, the party had started. Everyone was there and all my friends' host families had come as well. I met Emma's host mom, who was super nice and adorable and called me "Pinku", haha! I walked around for a bit talking to people and handing out more presents to my teachers.
Some people made speeches about their experiences in the dorms or with host families.
Then I saw Ayuko! So I welcomed her in and thanked her for coming. She gave me a gift which contained these adorable crackers and a beautiful handkerchief!


I like the heart shaped ones!

After I gave Kano her chocolate, she wanted a picture with us as well!

Kano is behind Ayuko. She curled her hair all nicely!

I love Ayuko!!

I saw Shungo at the party and he told me "omedetou" (congratulations). He's the one I went to the onsen with way back when with Rafa and Esteban. I hadn't seen him since our awkward exchange at the train station on Ash Wednesday, so I didn't recognize him at first and barely mumbled "arigatou." But we talked a lot  on Facebook later, so it was all good! He asked me what I thought of Japan and I said it's beautiful and the people are all so nice and helpful! :)

Then Una showed up! She gave me gifts as well!

From Nagoya TV Tower!

Me and Una

I'm so happy Una and Ayuko came! I had so much fun with them there and my mom and sister really liked them! Their English is perfect, so my mom and sister were able to talk a whole bunch with them and they're both such interesting people!

I ate a bit of food and then we all got together to sing a song that Una and Ayuko knew. It was hard for me to follow along with the fast pace at which Mitch was singing it!

Ayuko took this of me and Una singing!

After the song, the party wrapped up and everyone started heading out. I ran over to say goodbye to Kazuki and give him a hug. Then I went over to talk to Shunsuke. While I was doing so, Kondo sensei slipped up beside me and whispered to me, asking if this was the guy I had gone on a date with, haha. I told her no, and she was sad because she'd wanted to meet him. But she was happy she at least got a glimpse of him in the car that day.

One by one, I hugged all my friends goodbye. Hotaru showed up as well and we took a picture together! Emma started crying towards the end. I felt like I should have been crying too, but I guess I really am heartless, lol. It really was super sad, though.

Then I hugged Shunsuke goodbye as he headed out, and gave Emma a giant hug as she left with her host mom. Soon we were the last ones inside. So Mom, Bridget, Una, Ayuko, and I all went outside to sit an enjoy the beautiful weather and each other's company.

Ayuko and Una walked with me as I went to the office to turn in some last paperwork and we got to talk, so that was nice. But all too soon, it got late and we had to part.
It's so horrible saying goodbye when you're not sure if you'll ever see each other again in the future.

Ayuko is a pro at candid shots

Me with my friends :)

Then Ayuko came back to my dorm to get my bonsai, because I was giving it to her since I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to take it home.
When she left, Mom, Bridget, and I went over to Cafe Downey so I could talk to the owner who knows my friend from back home. He was really happy I stopped by and talked to him and gave him her message for him. Then he said he was going to email her right away! The cashier was there to, while we were talking and she said my Japanese was really good! :)

After that, we hung out in my mom and sister's hotel room planning for our trip next week. 

As I write this, it's the night before my flight back home to America. I had a great week with my mom and sister, which I'll post about once I'm back in America an have good, strong, wifi.
Gosh, I can't believe my time at Nanzan and in the Land of the Rising Sun has already come to an end! I had such an amazing five months in Japan.
I  went to an onsen, took hundreds of purikura, did hanami under the sakura, rode the fastest train in the country, experienced an earthquake, visited a host club, ate at a maid cafe, got hit by a car, dated a local, attended a festival celebrating a phallus, got kicked out of my host family's place, tried just about every Japanese dish, slept in a capsule (more on that later), saw my favorite band play in their hometown, and befriended some of the coolest people I'll ever meet!
It's been quite a ride.

I'm going to miss terribly the fact that it's socially acceptable to bathe naked in front of people, elevators with close door buttons that actually work, melon pan and melon soda, misokatsudon, karaoke, purikura, heated toilet seats, scented toilet paper, konbini, and the convenience of trains.
But I can't wait to get back to America where there is: cheap fruit (the ichiban thing I miss!), paper towels, napkins, dryers, and water fountains. And I don't have to commute on a stuffed train in the morning.

So yeah. It's been real Japan. I will miss you terribly. Right now I'm excited to go home, but I know in a few weeks I'll have uncontrollable pangs of longing for this amazing country. 

Nooo it's so sad. I made so many amazing friends that I'll probably never see again. I don't want to say goodbye!!

Jim is so right. They really are.

(In case you can't see it: http://cdn2.thegloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/the-office-goodbye.gif )

I hope you all enjoyed reading my blog!
I want to say some thank yous really quick!

First and foremost, thank you to my awesome parents! Thank you for supporting me both physically and emotionally in my adventures and for helping me achieve my dream of living in Japan! I love you guys so much!!

Next, to my amazing friends. Both those back home and those I have met here. Thank you to everyone in Blacksburg who let my possessions take up temporary residence in your homes, and thank you to everyone who Skyped or texted me while I was here so I didn't get too homesick, especially those of you who sent me packages in the mail!
For my friends here, thank you for being there for me when the going got hard and for taking me out on fun-filled adventures!

And to the Japanese Conversation Group I'm part of back home. You all prepared me unbelievably well for this. Thank you for taking time to practice Japanese with me even though I sucked ass last year, and for even just letting me sit and listen to all you natives speak all pera pera while I understood absolutely nothing. Thank you especially to those who helped me prepare for my journey by giving me things or introducing me to friends or family of yours in and around Nagoya so even though I was coming to Japan by myself, I would never be completely alone or friendless.

And finally, thank you, readers. Especially those of you who read every post every day. I really, really appreciate it! There were some times I thought about quitting writing, but I'd always get texts, emails, or comments talking about or asking about my blog and telling me how much fun it was to read, so I knew I couldn't stop. So thank you!! You all made it fun to write! :)

So yes, goodbyes are a bitch. But you know what I think? If saying goodbye is hard, that must mean you've made great friends and lasting memories that you will treasure forever. And that's exactly what I've done! :)

さよなら日本!みんな読みくれてありがとう!!(^_−)−☆

2 comments:

  1. I know you'll miss Japan, but the memories you have are priceless. Glad you're coming home because you were missed here:) Love you. Aunt Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thank you! I'm glad to be back :)
      Can't wait to see you again!

      Delete