"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer"


Sunday, February 16, 2014

Playing with clay

I was too tired and sick to go to 8 am church today, so I waited till 10. We had these sausage things in bread (like hot dogs but they were gray with spices mixed in) with ketchup and cabbage. It was actually really good!

Then I left for church and everyone else went shopping. It was nice and sunny out. After church, I went down to have tea and a donut and I was swarmed by all these Japanese people wanting to talk to me and practice their English, haha! The 10 am mass was a LOT more crowded than the 8.


This old lady talked to me a lot. Then she was like "I want to be your friend." Awww!!! She was so cute! 
Then the priest came over and told me a family wanted to invite me over to their home? He introduced me to them, but they never said anything more about inviting me over. It was a lady who used to live in the Phillipines, who was good at English  and her daughter and her daughter's friend. They were all from Gifu. The two girls wanted to practice English with me but were really shy.
I asked the one who was better at English and less shy why she wanted to learn Englsih, and she told me so she could watch English movies, haha. The other told me she didn't like studying lol.

Then I got on my bike to leave when the two girls came over again and asked how old I was. I told them hatchi and they were like whoooaaaa haha. I asked how old they were and they said thirteen and fourteen and they're in the second year of middle school!
They lingered there not saying much, so I spoke in Japanese a bit more and said "hajime mashite" and "ganbatte" and "yoroshiku onegaishimasu". I realized after I left I should have added them on Line. Oh well. They said they wanted to see me again, so I'll try to go back to the 10 am next Sunday.

When I got home, everyone was still gone, so I talked to a friend from Tech and Skyped my parents.
When everyone got back, Yuko asked if I'd eaten lunch and then made spaghetti. We all put shredded seaweed and sauces on our spaghetti that came in little silver packets. Yuko and Ken got orange sauce and Miya and I got pink sauce. The sauce tasted fishy, but when I mixed it in the spaghetti, it made it all taste really good. We had toasted bread with it too that was really sweet.

After lunch, I decided to get out the clay I brought from the US and showed it to Miyabi. Miya had never seen of heard of clay before, so I taught her how to use it!

And look at all that we made!


We also watched this Japanese game show like Jeaopardy.


Except if say the white person picked the square under the green in the third column, the two green squares between the two white squares would turn white too, so people could steal points from other people!!
So you have to be a good strategist as well as problem solver!

Ken went to go take a nap after that because he's sick too. We were supposed to do "Ohina sama" today, where we put out all the Girls' Day dolls (because if we don't Miya won't get married lol), but Yuko said to wait till after Ken woke up. So I did my homework.
For a snack, Yuko made pancakes! They weren't as sweet as American pancakes. I plan on using the pancake mix and syrup my mom sent next weekend to show everyone American-style pancakes. But these were still good! We put anko on them. I also had one with orange marmalade and Yuko and Miya had one each with peanut butter. They call it "peanuts butter" haha!

After that, I studied for my test tomorrow. We also watched Disney channel in Japanese for a while.

(Lilo & Stitch in Japanese)

One cartoon we watched had these guys who were talking about peanut butter, and they said "peanuts butter" too!!

When I was done studying, Miya and I wrote in English and Japanese on her chalk board. She corrected my Japanese and I corrected her English.
Oh and Miya has the coolest thing ever, that I have to go buy! It's an eraser that comes with a wheel thing that you roll along the table or your paper or whatever and it picks up all your eraser shavings!!! HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?


Then Miya and I drew a picture and wrote more and then played Speed.



Ken woke up and then it was dinner time. We had nabe again with noodles, meat, tofu, and egg! So warm and yummy.
I've been sneezing a ton tonight! Either people are talking about me or I'm seriously sick haha.

We never put out the hina dolls, which sucks because we were going to put them out last weekend but then it snowed (you're supposed to wait for good weather so it's all dry and the dolls stay nice and stuff), and today was such a nice, sunny day!

So yeah I'm gonna go look through the 32 snapchats I have waiting for me haha. Peace out, guys!

Here's the movie of the Japanese toilet in Osaka greeting me:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=V4QPHulho8k

And two movies of snow in Osaka!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=O-kDvUf8TtM

Watch them, guys they're interesting and short! I promise.

If the links don't work, just look under my account on YouTube (Cate Bissell)

4 comments:

  1. You're so funny in the snow lol YAY clay! I like the turtle. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks!
      I KNEW you'd appreciate it!! I see why you like making clay sculptures so much now! It's fun and a good stress reliever. :D

      Delete
  2. you know that clay is re-usable, so keep the like colors together and put it all in a plastic bag and you can do this again with Miyabi at another time

    BTW you have an awsome mom

    we need a toilet like that!!

    I am so jealous of the snow...78 degrees here today :-'((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know that. I'm not sure what Yuko did with them, but she asked me if they will harden and I told her no.

      I know I do! :D

      Lol we do! Aw man, so hot!! But I kind of want warm weather now. The wind is so cold here!

      Delete