"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer"


Thursday, February 20, 2014

Bunny stickers

This morning I had a conversation with one of the bike parking area workers!! It wasn't much but it still made me happy. :D

Him: おはようございます。
Me: おはようございます。
Him: 寒いね。
Me: はい、寒い。

Him: Good morning.
Me: Good morning.
Him: It's cold, huh?
Me: Yes, it's cold.

Like usually they just say good morning, but he kept talking to me even though I'm a foreigner and might not have understood! I guess he figured since I'm there every day I'm obviously doing something here for a while that involves me needing to know some Japanese.

This morning Heather told me Mitch got suuuuper drunk last night. Fuuuuck I'm so mad I missed it!!! She said he was hilarious and when they left around 10 (yeah, no there's no way I could have left that late), he walked them to the station and everyone got on the subway expecting him to follow, but he said goodbye and told them he was heading to another bar and stumbled out!!! Hahahahaha. I saw him working in the CJS office this morning before I knew all this so I wish I'd taken a closer look, but he seemed fine, a little tired maybe.

In class today, we had to write about our favorite restaurant, so of course I immediately though of Sweet Tomatoes (my love back in H-town) but then Mutsukawa sensei was like "either in Nihon or America", so I was like waaaittt, I'm gonna do Sweets Paradise! (Why do all my favorite restaurants have "sweet" in the name, haha?)
Mutsukawa sensei asked me what sweets I like (I said all of them, duh!) and asked me if I eat sweets often. I told him every day (lol) and he asked what kinds of Japanese sweets I like and I told him anko. He said he likes taiyaki, which promoted me to get out my photo of the taiyaki parfait I ate in Kyoto and showed it to him and the rest of the class. Everyone was drooling, hahaha.

At lunch, I was gonna just eat the onigiri from breakfast (Yuko gave me a lot of breakfast this morning and I wasn't really hungry so I could only eat one of the onigiri and took the other for later) and some sides for lunch, but I was craving misokatsudon again (I told you I crave it 24/7), so I got that instead. I sat with Minju again and some of her friends who I didn't know yet. We all talked about how hot Korean guys are. :D
When I was bussing my tray, I dropped one of my chopsticks and was about to bend down and pick it up, when this nerdy Japanese student swiftly picked it up for me!! Ahh so nice! I thanked him. :)
It must be a Japanese thing to have awesome picking-up-strangers'-dropped-items reflexes, because at Kanayama on the way home tonight, my water bottle fell out of my backpack and I turned around to pick it up and this Japanese man had already picked it up and was holding it out to me! Sugoi, Japan!

Then Heather and I went to Lawson's because she'd promised me she'd buy a bread and give me the sticker. She had me help her pick out a bread. I told her melon pan was my favorite and she ended up getting that. While she was deciding, I saw a Japanese guy buying sandwiches with his friends. And the sandwich has two bunny stickers! 
So when Heather had finished choosing a bread, she came with me as I walked over to the guys. I was like "sumimasen, usagi sticker o tsukuru?"
Are you going to use the bunny sticker?

And the guy was all like "ageru?" Like asking if I wanted him to give it to me and then he said he would! Then he said in English, "wait a moment."
So Heather bought her bread and gave me the sticker and then the guy bought his sandwiches and came over and stuck the sticker on my bunny sticker sheet! :) His friends all laughed at him giving them to me, but it made me so happy!!

Rana gave me two more this morning and Rafa and Esteban gave me three yesterday, so I was going to give up, but now I only need 12 more! Ahhh idk... I guess I'll try to go for it!

After lunch, I went to the computer building to research matsuri for project work. And then it was time for Japanese Folklore.
In folklore we talked about Onmiyoji II and a bit about Setsubun as well. It was way more interesting this week since I'd actually watched the movie like I was supposed to lol.

When I got home today, Miyabi finished eating and then it was my turn to eat. Yuko gave me a heaping bowl of spaghetti and toast and salad. It was all so good and reminded me of home! Except the bread wasn't garlic bread :( and the spaghetti had octopus and other seafood. It also had clams in the shells! So I had to pick out the butterfly clam shells the whole time and at the end, I didn't realize I got one on my fork because it was buried under the sauce and spaghetti and I bit into it and broke it with my teeth! Ouch I was not expecting that!
But it was still good! Yuko was making anpan (bread filled with red beans) while I ate. 
When I was finished eating, Miya heard me say "gochisou sama deshita" (she was in the room next door) and so she opened the door separating us a crack and passed me a note! I opened it and died because it was so so so cute!!!
She folded it up all cutely too! Yuko told me kids in Japan always fold notes to each other in cute ways!

Here's the note:

(Holy crap isn't it adorable??? I love her!)

Then I went to my room to do homework and write my blog. Yuko came in after a bit and was like 
"Keito, ii?" Asking if I was good.
I said I was and she came in and gave me half of one of the anpan buns she made! She had me try it and it was hot, but soooo delicious!!
I looooove anko!
She told me she made them to give to Keiko (Rana's host mom) as omiyage for letting me spend the night, since she hadn't been able to buy Rana's host family a present because she's been taking care of Miya.


(Nom nom nom!)


2 comments:

  1. Uncle Mike showed me a cute you tube video I thought you would enjoy. It's titled Rabbit Island. The island is in Japan. Have you heard of it? Sounds like you are having a great time and learning so much. Have you had a chance to visit my friend Mariko? Love, Aunt Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool!! That sounds really cute! I haven't heard of it.
      And no I haven't, sorry. I was waiting until after my trip to Osaka and Kyoto. I will email her tomorrow, though!

      Delete