"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer"


Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Melon pan no hi (aka best day of the year)!

So last night the only homework I did was preparation for my presentation Friday. I didn't realize how much stuff I actually had due today! 

So this morning I got ready really quickly and got to the station at 7:39!! The second day in a row I caught the 7:47. :)
It was freezing this morning! I could see my breath. But it's getting up to the 60s tomorrow! Japan has cray cray weather just like Blacksburg!

I really like how everyone I pass outside our apartment complex always says "Ohayou gozaimasu" or "konnichiwa" to me even though I'm blonde and white and they don't know me. Like I never talk to people I don't know in America, haha. But people in Japan are so nice!!

So on the subway and once I got to school I managed to do everything I had due today and study for my kanji test!

Today in reading and writing, we practiced saying words that sounded the same again. I freaking hate when we have to do that! The worst ones were "bataa" and "battaa". Omg. Know what they mean?
"Bataa" is "butter" and "battaa" is "batter" (like baseball batter). Ugh, these don't even sound the same in English and the Japanese words are based off the English ones! Rawr.

In Hanga, this chime rang and a voice came over the loudspeaker saying stuff in Japanese. Minju translated for Emma and me. It was saying to take a moment to pray for all those who lost their lives in the earthquake that hit Japan on this day three years ago. Then after a few minutes, the girl came back on and said "arigatou gozaimasu."

After Hanga, I went to Lawson's to buy melon pan because I was craving it and yesterday Heather had come in to class, shouting about how she now had 11 bear stickers. Rawr. I still only have four (Andrew gave me one at lunch today!).
When I got to Lawson's I SAW THIS AMAZING THING!!!



It says that for melon pan no hi, the melon pan is 10 yen less for March 11, 12, and 13!!!! OMG!!!!! Best day ever!
So I bought two of them.

Then I went to the computer lab and made the PowerPoint to go along with my presentation Friday. It was fun using PowerPoint all in Japanese!



That only took me 30 minutes, and then I left to go home. I stopped in the CJS building quickly to ask about the field trip in April.
So I'd completely forgotten we were going on a bus trip with Japanese students on Saturday, April 12. So I hadn't said anything when Yuko told me for April 12 and 13, we're going to Handaa and spending the night at Obaasan's house because there's a big spring matsuri there that Ken is participating (carrying a float) in this year.
Crap. I don't want to miss the bus trip with the Japanese students though! So I went to ask Matsui san about it.
Esteban was in the CJS office, about to leave, so he waited for me. Matsui san told me it's a secret where we were going, but he told Esteban and me anyway, haha!
We're going to Kyoto!! I was afraid we'd go somewhere I've been already, but we're going to the famous ninja movie studio there where you can dress as a ninja and roam a traditional Japanese village!
And then afterwards we'll go to a temple or shrine. He said either Kiyomizudera or Kinkakuji. I've already been to Kiyomizudera, so I really hope it's Kinkakuji, since we weren't able to go there when we were in Kyoto.
Then we'll get back to Nagoya at 6 or 7 at night!
Oh man, I really want to go!
Then Esteban walked to the station. I told him about melon pan no hi on the way, so we stopped at Lawson's so he could get a melon pan, haha. And I got another bunny sticker from it!
Then we got on the subway and he got off at the first stop to go play badminton.
At Kanayama, I stopped in the JR and Shinkansen ticket office to try to exchange my unreserved seat ticket for a reserved seat because at lunch today Ben told me reserved is better because he did unreserved and got a super packed train and had to stand the whole time!
Thankfully they let me change tickets with no fee, just the $7 extra to reserve the seat. Yay!!

Then I headed home. Yuko and Miya didn't get home for another hour. So I just memorized the dialogue for the dialogue check tomorrow and then studied vocab. We finally reached chapter 10, so I actually have to work hard now. So taihen.

After Yuko and Miya got home, the doorbell rang. Yuko went to answer it and then Miya joined her shortly after. After a bit Miya came to my room to tell me to go out and see them because there was an aka chan! Ken had just gotten home, so he came out too.
It was the young couple from next door with their newborn baby! He was sooo cute! After we all talked for a bit and froze in the cold, they left and we went back inside. It's so weird how in Japan, people hardly ever invite others into their houses. And when friends hang out, it's always out in public, not at each other's houses.

Anyway, Yuko made fish for dinner! Yeeesss!!! I was the only one who ate the skin lol. And she fried tofu and it was really good!
Then we ate the gift the couple with the baby had given us. It was a box of 5 different types of cookies! Yuko, Miya, and I all had one of each of the 5 flavors! Ken just had three.
I told everyone about the school trip in April and Yuko told me I could do both! She said when I came back from the trip, I could take the train from Nagoya Eki to Handaa Eki and then walk two minutes to Obaasan's house for the second day of the festival. It's probably gonna be hella expensive, but hey, I got what I wanted! I get to experience both things!

Then I did homework until it was my turn to shower.

(Google today. It says: 
"March 11. 3 years since that day." And when you click on the link, it's a montage of photos of the earthquake destruction and relief)

No comments:

Post a Comment